Re: Why doesn't exist a 68k emulator in GDB?

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 10:02:54PM +0800, Peng-Sheng Chen wrote:

> Hello:
>
>       68k is a simple and popular processor.
>       Many embedded systems use 68k, but GDB
>       doesn't exist a 68k emulator.

The core answer is because nobody has written a 68k emulator that uses a GPL
licensed and the author (and possibly the author's employer) agrees to sign
over the rights to the Free Software Foundation.  Those two conditions must be
met in order to include the simulator under GDB.  Within Red Hat (previously
Cygnus), we would typically write a simulator as part of porting the toolchain
to a new chip.  In the 68k case, the toolchain already existed and you could
use Sun 3s or other 68k unix boxes to test the compiler toolchain on.

>       GDB exist many others emulator , ex: ARM, ...
>       Who can explain that if I have a emulator and
>       a GDB, how to combine them to work together?
>       It exists any document about this?
>       Thanks very much.

Somebody from the GDB group could answer this better.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304