Re: help with remote debug!!

Also sprach chester@linux.org.tw:

> Hi....!
> I got some confuse about remote debug feature on gdb.
> (I have read some GDB doc).
> Build all of cross-compile in my PC for StrongARM and bootable
> kernel that uses cross-compile.
> Then i do the following command,
> $ arm-unknown-linux-gdb vmlinux
>
> and,
> (gdb) set remotebaud 115200
> (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
> (gdb) run
>
> But it hang on connect to remote target,no message on my terminal.
>
> What can i do for it ?? Or more doc i can study??
>
> Thanks,
> Chester

You want to use the same device that Fernando suggested in the previous
message.  Before you issue the "target remote" command, say:

(gdb) set debug remote 2

Then you will get a trace of all the messages flowing between you and your
stub.  You can see if you ever connect, or if there is some errors in the
initial handshake that are causing the hang.

The gdb info file has a section on the remote protocol, which will help you
understand the traffic you are watching.

Jim
--
Jim Ingham                                 jingham@apple.com
Apple Computer