Some generic questions..

Hello people,
 I've got a few questions regarding gdb which I didn't seem to find in faq
nor in gdb manuals, which I was able to check. I would appreciate if you
could give any hints or pointers on following issues:

I am debugging some binary code (no source code available, compiled
without debugging switches, binary is stripped) and:

1. I am wondering if it's possible to see what segments (and at what
addresses) are accessible and what permissions do I have for them ?
(read/write/execute)

2. Would it be possible to search these segments (or any certain memory
range) for some string or pattern?

 So far I found out `search' commands which apply to the source-code only,
which is not my case.

 Thanks a lot.

 -Fyodor