remote debugging

What is the preferred method for remote debugging?

I have an Atmel EB01, AT91M40400 processor (ARM7TDMI) which came with an
Angel monitor in flash.
Debugging with it is dead slow. Stepping through a few lines of code which
occurs as fast as I can click in the simulator takes ~20 seconds with the
Angel monitor. Also, I am unable to connect to the Angel monitor faster than
9600 (although I can go up to 38400 with the Arm Ltd. debugger).

I have a Jeeni on loan (JTAG Angel over ethernet) which allows me to debug
as fast as the simulator, but they're bloody expensive! I'd prefer a serial
or parallel solution if possible, only for cost reasons. (unless someone
knows of a cheap ethernet device!)

Is serial-tether debugging necessarily as slow as the Angel monitor? Would
Cygmon or the gdb-stub be better?

My preferred development environment would be Linux, but I'm stuck in a
dual-booting limbo right now until I can sort out my tool-chain problems.

Many thanks,
Shaun Jackman