Re: gdb doesn't work very well with dynamic linked binaries

   Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 08:49:34 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

   On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 11:47:13AM +0100, Joern Rennecke wrote:
   > > It is too bad that not many gcc developers using --enable-shared to
   > > configure gcc under ia32. See
   >
   > Well, on Linux, gdb fails to restart a cc1 / cc1plus executable that is
   > statically linked, which makes debugging very tedious.
   > So I always patch my Makefile to use static linking.

   That is a very annoying bug in gdb 5.0. When I set a breakpoint in
   the shared library, I have to disable them before restart.

Getting this bug fixed is one of the release criteria for GDB 5.1.
All I have now is a hack that works around the problems, see the GDB
TODO file for more info.

   Also it is very hard to debug ld-linux.so.2:

   # gdb ld-linux.so.2

AFAIK this never worked.  Patches to make it work are certainly
welcome.  Uli mentioned he submitted some patches, but I cannot find
any trace of them.  Perhaps you re-submit them Uli?

Mark