Re: wishlist for gdb ....

>   From: Vardhan Varma <vardhan@cadence.com>
>   Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:58:13 +0531
>
>    >
>    > >    2.  how to grep help's output ??
>    > >        help show | grep arg ?????
>    > >        or even setenv PAGER=xless displays help in seperate
>    > >        xless window.
>    > why?
>
>	   how do i know what commands lists all the local variables
>	   in a scope. just do 'help show | grep local'
>
>	   IMHO, extensive on-line-help is useless, if i can't search
>	   for a world thru it. in dbx, i can do a help -k keyword
>	   just like 'man -k'.

Current GDB sources include a command `apropos' just for that.  Would
that solve your problems?

>	   After using dbx with Sun-5.0, I find gdb _very_ limiting.

Please post a list of missing/buggy/wrongly-implemented features in
GDB that can substantiate this sentence.  (FWIW, my personal
experience with dbx leads me to the opposite conclusion.)

>	   BTW, is there any effort to make a geniune components out
>	   of gdb( a libgdb.a/so with libgdb.g ?)

Yes.

>          with tcl thingy
>	   cleany out of it , or is redhat going to make a spaghetti of
>	   code ?

It strikes me that such attitude is not the best way of encouraging
maintainers of a package to add features you want to be added, or even
to reply, for that matter.