Re: Linux threads support in GDB

> Explicitly stopping individual threads is considered bad practice by
> most threads experts.  And of course using SIGSTOP is unportable.
> That's why I don't consider this a critical problem.

I can believe that it is considered bad, and right now the only implementation
of thread stopping is used when creating a new thread in certain instances
(Some applications expect threads to be created in a stopped state and use
SIGSTOP to do so. I could implement support for this differently, waiting on a
condition until the resume is given, and if there is a stop/resume pair used
outside of this case then it would break GDB, but at this time it isn't used.)

One application that uses SIGSTOP for suspending a running thread is Sun's J2SE.

> I'd be delighted if you can find a way to make things work.  I just
> don't see how.

If I get enough time to do so, I will think on the problem some more (so far
I've only done brief poking around.)

--Randy

Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is user friendly.