Re: Remote Target Protocol 'g' & 'P' Packets Broken for PowerPC!!!!!

On 25-Oct-2000, Andrew Cagney wrote:

>Decoupling the way remote.c interprets RAW_REGISTER_BYTES from the way
>it decodes G (et.al.) packets is on my (and probably a few others)
>things todo today lists.

Is there a proposed solution on the table?

GDB could promise that the raw register array is packed in increasing
register order (as in fact rs6000-tdep.c does).  But I think we can't get
away from the stub needing knowledge of GDB's internal register numbering.

A solution to _that_ would be to autogenerate GDB's and stubs' register
numbers from a common source.  The same source could autogenerate the
RAW_REGISTER_BYTES layout in the same way for both GDB and stubs, so it
wouldn't be necessary to decouple RAW_REGISTER_BYTES from G et
al. packets.

Just another thought,

Nick