Re: gdb@gnu.org Discussion

> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:29:57 -0800
> From: Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com>
>
> >  - How do the current maintainers (as listed in the MAINTAINERS file)
> >    and other contributors fit into this new picture?
>
> Since the committee is not yet responsible for GDB (that's what RMS'
> announcement was supposed to inaugurate!), no decisions have been made,
> but I doubt there will be much if any change in day-to-day work.  The
> committee's role is more to develop consensus on difficult issues that
> no single GDB hacker can decide unilaterally.  I expect the details
> will be laid out in the committee's web pages, again following the
> GCC model, which has worked pretty well.

Caveat emptor!

With all due respect to the GCC steering committee and the job it
performs, I'd like to point out that the GDB development team has
quite a different style of making decisions than the GCC team.  The
most prominent evidence to the difference in style is the relatively
high number of discussions on GCC-related forums where people get
flamed or treated with vitriol, for no good reason, while discussing
design issues; such incidents are practically absent from GDB forums.
'Nuff said.

This doesn't mean to say that a steering committee for GDB is
necessarily a bad idea, but IMHO it does mean that we shouldn't
blindly copy GCC models without thinking about that first.