Re: telnet features to serial

>>>>> "Quality" == Quality Quorum <qqi@world.std.com> writes:
Quality> I am wondering about following: does it seem reasonable to
Quality> add minimal telnet option negotiation to serial debugging
Quality> over tcp connection ?

Quality> Rationale: (1) this connection is usually going to terminal
Quality> server or telnet daemon (if monitor debugging is used), both
Quality> of them do expect telnet session, I suppose it may save on
Quality> terminal server configuration, (2) it will expand
Quality> possibilities, e.g. it will allow to send breaks over tcp,
Quality> (3) it is not a big deal to add it to the picture.

1) while a tcp connection may be to a port on a terminal server doing
   telnet, it could also be set up to do a raw tcp stream.  I'd think
   there would have to be a way for the user to select between tcp and
   telnet.  I don't believe you can even assume that port 23 is telnet
   and everything else is raw.

2) what backends could take advantage of a serial break?  the remote
   debug protocol usualy uses ^C instead of break (although I would
   prefer a "stop" packet).  What other telnet negotiated features
   could we use?

3) Perhaps, but it seems more complicated than any benifits it might
   offer.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin