Re: Preparing for the GDB 5.0 / GDB 2000 / GDB2k release

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 12:22:25PM +1100, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> With that said, I would consider a one month gap between 5.0 and 5.1 to
> be unrealistic. I'd also consider it un-reasonable to mandate the
> acceptance of patches just because a reasonable solution isn't
> available.  It's important to remember that the person submitting the
> quick-hack isn't the one that is going to be responsible for the long
> term maintenance that that hack creates.

First, Sam's patches just follow what is in solib.c. I don't think he
instroduced a new kind of hack. Unless we remove all those "hacks" in
solib.c in gdb 5.0, I don't think it is a good excuse not to fix the
bug. For whoever has to cleanup the "mess" in solib.c, it is just
another item on the check list. It is the time to make gdb more usable
than make our lives easier. I hate to see people say gdb 5.0 doesn't
work right with shared libraries on Linux. I'd like to see a firm date
when the support in gdb for shared libraries will be fixed. At least,
I can tell people it will work in xxxx, 2000 and I don't have to make
my gdb available for Lunux again.

H.J.