Re: New file gdb/CONTRIBUTE guidelins for the contributor

Jim Kingdon wrote:

> > In terms of content, this really is a direct lift of GCC's
> > how-to-contribute page.
>
> There is already such a lift at
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/submit.html
>
> Although it does express things which need to be said (for the most
> part), I wanted to write something else which does more to encourage
> people (the submit.html page has way too many "don'ts" and not enough
> "dos"), so I wrote http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/contribute.html

Your intro looks to be a much better opening set of paragraphs.  Mind if
I borrow it?

Unfortunatly, I tink that it still needs to be very clear (and up front)
about the real legal and stylistic expectations placed on potential GDB
contributors.

This might mean that some potential contributors are scared away and for
that I'm sorry.  However, I'd still rather have that happen then end up
with a poor GDB hacker frustrated beyond belief because their wonderful
contribution can't be accepted for legal reasons.  (Since gnu-indent
almost defines GDB's coding standard most stylistic issues can be
resolved mechanically.)

> (None of this is all that new, I've been checking in to GDB web pages
> since well before the Red Hat-Cygnus merger).
>
> The web pages are in CVS, people should be able to get them with some
> variation of
>
>   cvs -d :ext:kingdon@sourceware.cygnus.com:/cvs/gdb co htdocs
>
> That is, how you get GDB but with the appropriate changes to the
> root/module names.
>
> So having said all that, do you still want submit.html or equivalent
> in the distribution?  Having it both places seems like kind of a
> maintenance pain and seems to me that having the distribution point to
> the web site probably works.

Yes,  I think the GDB distribution should contain the document.  While
the web pages are a useful adjunct they are not included in the GDB
distribution. Remember that while 99% of the population might have full
web access, that still leaves 99% of the population without it.

Your suggestion of generating the online copy from the distribution is
what I had in mind.  I should have mentioned that, sorry.

	enjoy,
		Andrew