Cycle stepping

I'm in the process of revitalising the tic4x target for submission.
One big change that I've noticed is that a simulator can no longer use
any of gdb's routines.

Now one useful feature we had with the c4x simulator was to provide
single cycle stepping to observe the operation of the pipeline.  This
was achieved by adding a couple of new commands to gdb's interpreter
(stepc and nextc) whenever the c4x simulator was fired up.  Now in the
process of making the c4x simulator stand-alone, does anyone know of a
simple way that this functionality can be added to gdb?

Presently, stepc is similar to stepi but we use a flag to tell the
simulator to stop after a cycle.  Is there a mechanism for
communicating parameters like this to the simulator to avoid having to
add another argument to target_resume?

Michael.