Re: Visual C++ and GDB compiling

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> writes:

> Paul Selormey wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> > Is there anyone on this list who is able to compile the GDB with Visual C++
> > (any version)
> > and could share the experience with me?
> >
> > I wish to investigate an MFC frontend to the GDB and I think a better
> > control will be through
> > VC++ compilation.

Not necessarily.
You'd be much better off with cygwin, trust me on this one.

> > Please help, I am completely a newbie to debugger writing and at this point
> > cannot pick just
> > what I need from the CVS.
>
> The company formally known as Cygnus was doing this several years ago
> (legend has it that it wasn't a plesant experience :-( ).  Since then
> cygwin has become the prefered (and far easier) way of building GDB
> under Windows.

You think that wasn't pleasant, try writing a symtab reader for
CodeView for GDB.
Back when BeOS was using the PE format, Metrowerk's compiler produced
"Almost CodeView" debug info.
I say almost, because it was broken as all get out right up until Be
switched to Cygnus.
Needless to say, cvread.c was larger and hairier than dwarf2read.c
(which is the largest single source file besides gnu-regex.c and
breakpoint.c in the gdb dir)
Anyway, back to the issue at hand.