Re: patch database proposal

   Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:27:13 -0500 (EST)
   From: Jim Blandy <jimb@cygnus.com>

   Here's a tentative proposal for how the patch database should work.
   In reality, a good part of this is set up and ready to go, but there's
   nothing we can't revise, in the presence of good ideas or persuasive
   criticism.

   Please let me know what you think; post your comments to the list.

Looks good to me.  We'll probably want to phase out gdb-patches in
favour of gdb-patches-prs.

It is hard to estimate the amount of work the patch secretary has to
do, but if it's a lot, we could have multiple secretaries.  A bit like
multiple maintainers but with the difference that all of them can work
together.  GNATS locking should take care of avoiding duplicate work.

I think it should also be possible for maintainers to enter patches as
`applied' by sending a *single* message, without the need of further
manipulation of the database (to replace the current practice of
maintainers sending a patch to gdb-patches for work they did
themselves).

Mark