Re: Pascal language support patch preparation

   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:32:02 +0100
   From: Pierre Muller <muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr>
   Cc: gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com

   At 14:21 02/03/00 +0100, you wrote:
   >   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:41:58 +0100
   >   From: Pierre Muller <muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr>
   >
   >      I want to format my PATCH for pascal extension before submitting it
   >   so I read that I should use GNU indent with -gnu option !
   >
   >Hi Pierre, I do hope that you'll break your patch up in some smaller
   >chunks.  IMHO the fact that you sent it as a large chunk, was one of
   >the main reasons why it was ignored last fall.

     But adding a new language means at least :
   new files :
     p-lang.h p-lang.c p-valprint.c p-typeprint.c and p-exp.y
   plus the changes needed to make GDB know about pascal language !
   This means a bunch of other changes of course !

Patches to create those new p-* files cannot be broken up of course,
but your patch also touches a lot of the other GDB files.  Breaking
those patches up in smaller though functionally related chunks makes
reviewing and applying the patches a lot easier.

I'd advise you to do the following:

1. If you need some tweaks in GDB that do not depend on the Pascal
   support itself, start submitting these ASAP.

2. Then send the new p-* as one single patch.

3. Then send a patch that adds the code to hook in the GDB support.

   >     But I tried this on c-lang.h just to see
   >   and the result is that the current header file does not conform to
   >   indent output !
   >
   >Looks like you're using a different `indent' than was used on the GDB
   >sources.  I think, this shows that defining the GDB coding standards
   >in terms of the output of `indent' is not really workable.  I've also
   >noticed that `indent' sometime really messes up the output, because it
   >gets confused by certain constructs.

   indent --version gives "GNU indent 2.2.5"
   is that not the current version ??

Yes it is, but it isn't the version that was used for reformatting the
GDB sources.  See:

   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/1999-q3/msg00014.html

for more information.

   >     So my question is simply should I run indent on my files
   >   or should I send them without !
   >
   >I'd say that avoiding gratuitous reformatting is more important than
   >running your changes through `indent'.  Thus, make sure that your
   >patches only contains changes for code you really changed, and that
   >these changes correspond to the GNU coding standards.

     One of the main problem is that my patches are primarily files
   c-*.* first copied to p-*.* then adapted to reflect pascal instead
   of C, but of course this copy was primarily done on v4.17 !  I
   change after so that it compiled with v4.18, but all the changes
   made in c-*.* since then are not in my pascal files.

The best thing would probably be to port these changes over to the
p-*.* files.

Mark