Re: Pascal language support patch preparation

At 15:06 02/03/00 +0100, you wrote:
>   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:32:02 +0100
>   From: Pierre Muller <muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr>
>   Cc: gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com
>
>   At 14:21 02/03/00 +0100, you wrote:
>   >   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:41:58 +0100
>   >   From: Pierre Muller <muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr>
>   >
>   >      I want to format my PATCH for pascal extension before submitting
it
>   >   so I read that I should use GNU indent with -gnu option !
>   >
>   >Hi Pierre, I do hope that you'll break your patch up in some smaller
>   >chunks.  IMHO the fact that you sent it as a large chunk, was one of
>   >the main reasons why it was ignored last fall.
>
>     But adding a new language means at least :
>   new files :
>     p-lang.h p-lang.c p-valprint.c p-typeprint.c and p-exp.y
>   plus the changes needed to make GDB know about pascal language !
>   This means a bunch of other changes of course !
>
>Patches to create those new p-* files cannot be broken up of course,
>but your patch also touches a lot of the other GDB files.  Breaking
>those patches up in smaller though functionally related chunks makes
>reviewing and applying the patches a lot easier.
>
>I'd advise you to do the following:
>
>1. If you need some tweaks in GDB that do not depend on the Pascal
>   support itself, start submitting these ASAP.

  I don't think I really have such code !

>2. Then send the new p-* as one single patch.

 Alone ? tihs would just leave them  unused first !

>3. Then send a patch that adds the code to hook in the GDB support.

 OK, here a would have the biggest part of the problems probably
because some of the change are not trivial but I agree that I can probably
splitt those.

  For instance a big problem on which I spent a lot of time is to
get GDB to accept the fact the pascal is case insensitive
this required changes in gnu-regex code !!

>   >     But I tried this on c-lang.h just to see
>   >   and the result is that the current header file does not conform to
>   >   indent output !
>   >
>   >Looks like you're using a different `indent' than was used on the GDB
>   >sources.  I think, this shows that defining the GDB coding standards
>   >in terms of the output of `indent' is not really workable.  I've also
>   >noticed that `indent' sometime really messes up the output, because it
>   >gets confused by certain constructs.
>
>   indent --version gives "GNU indent 2.2.5"
>   is that not the current version ??
>
>Yes it is, but it isn't the version that was used for reformatting the
>GDB sources.  See:
>
>   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/1999-q3/msg00014.html

 This not really very informative on the method that was used to do it !

>for more information.
>
>   >     So my question is simply should I run indent on my files
>   >   or should I send them without !
>   >
>   >I'd say that avoiding gratuitous reformatting is more important than
>   >running your changes through `indent'.  Thus, make sure that your
>   >patches only contains changes for code you really changed, and that
>   >these changes correspond to the GNU coding standards.
>
>     One of the main problem is that my patches are primarily files
>   c-*.* first copied to p-*.* then adapted to reflect pascal instead
>   of C, but of course this copy was primarily done on v4.17 !  I
>   change after so that it compiled with v4.18, but all the changes
>   made in c-*.* since then are not in my pascal files.
>
>The best thing would probably be to port these changes over to the
>p-*.* files.

   Of courseit would, but I would like to stress again that I am a
pascal programmer (a bit assembler also) but that I learned C only to be
able to
add pascal to GDB!!!

  So I am probably not the best person to do this without errors :(

Pierre Muller
Institut Charles Sadron
6,rue Boussingault
F 67083 STRASBOURG CEDEX (France)
mailto:muller@ics.u-strasbg.fr
Phone : (33)-3-88-41-40-07  Fax : (33)-3-88-41-40-99