Re: RFD: New command to inspect other selectors memory.

   Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:27:14 +0100
   From: Pierre Muller <muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr>

   I inserted this in a reply about pascal extension, but as I got no answer,
   I thought
   I will send it as a separate message.

Sorry about that.

   I have written for DJGPP target a relatively small patch.
   It allows to read memory from another selector
   this was very useful for me when I tried to debug the debugger itself and
   when I added exception support fro GDB on DJGPP !

   This patch consists of the addition of one command that I called "xx"
   which is a simple clone of the "x" command but can take a selector
   as for intance
      "xx $fs:0x400"
   then the next "xx 0x800" keeps using the last selector value.
   I do not know if this could be interesting for other i386 targets
   (maybe for win32 to be able to see the content of the $fs selector
   that contains the exception chain, but I am not sure how if its
   readable inside a win32 API program).

     Is such kind of patch too specific to have any chance to get accepted ?
   I don't know if it could be of any use for other processors or operating
   system !!

This may be impossible to implement on most i386 targets (with the
possible exception of Solaris and Mach-based targets), but nevrtheless
it could be useful to have for things that are a bit more low-level
(like debugging a threads library that uses segmentation to store
per-thread data and such).  The suggested syntax could probably be
improved, since "xx" isn't very descriptive.  People with bright ideas?

Mark