Re: Moving Linux-specific stuff out of i386-tdep.c

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 03:51:32PM -0700, Kevin Buettner wrote:
> >...18-char names, so if you add a ~ for backups, ls can still list
> >files in four columns.  Weak rationale perhaps, but there's no other
> >technical limitations, and so the criterion can be usability.
>
> Personally, I would chose clarity of the name over the fact that
> ls output can fit in four columns.

That's why I said it was "weak", and didn't send the message to the
whole mailing list... :-)  But we need some kind of rule, otherwise
things get too chaotic - if 18 is too short, then why not 80?  Or 250?

> But then, I think the gdb directory is in drastic need of a reorg,
> too.  Maybe if we had something like a 'tdep' directory instead
> of i386-linux-tdep.c we wouldn't have to worry about this.

We could always imitate GCC and put the C files under config/<arch>.
I've resisted doing that because GDB configury is more mix-n-match
than GCC (and will be more so when we achieve the universal GDB that
can cross-debug all targets from a single executable), but somebody
that wants to do all the necessary configure hacking could make it work.

Stan