Re: breakpoint insert API (was: A patch for ia32 hardware watchpoint.)

> The reason I was passing the breakpoint pointer (with the intention of
> adding a "void *private_data" field), is that I don't want to preclude
> any target implementation.  A 32 bit integer ID is probably the most
> common breakpoint handle, but you never can tell...

I didn't pretend that this was general enough for everyone, I only said
this was what I used. In my case the UINT32 is dictated by the WTX layer
that assigns the ID's.

> I don't think your is_foreign flag is suitable for the target specific
> data, because it changes the behavior of generic breakpoint code.

Hmm, actually yeah that's right. It probably should be generic.

> You didn't describe is_global, so I'm not sure about it.  How is it
> different from (bp->thread == -1)?

It probably isn't, and is more an artifact of my implementation.

The foreign/global stuff was added together, and happened late enough
in a development cycle that I needed to keep it isolated and easy to
compile back out if we had to cancel it. I had two distinct #ifdef's
so I could pinpoint all the changes; I've never taken those out.

--
Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ windriver.com