Re: typo in gdb.texinfo

> AFAIK, `gdb.ini' is used in the DJGPP version only (Windows does allow
> leading dots in file names, but DOS doesn't), and the different name
> is explicitly mentioned in the manual, see the nodes "Mode Options"
> and "Command Files".

Actually it is possible to get a win32 command shell to rename a file to
".gdbinit" -- it's just non-obvious. We found this out the hard way because
all the GDB's now shipping from Wind River have ".gdbinit" compiled in, even
on windows. Somebody spotted it during beta, but didn't make a big enough
stink (they found the workaround themselves) and so the bug report never
made it back to me. I would have preferred something like GDB.INI also,
but was under the (incorrect) impression that there was a generic _WIN32
hack to remove the leading dot. oops.

> So I don't think we need to hide this name behind a variable, at least
> not because of Windows.

I concur... WRS dropped the ".vxgdbinit" name a while ago (and no one
has complained -- I haven't seen a single bug report ever), but the old
RDB configuration still supported by Cygnus continues to use that.

--
Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ windriver.com