Re: JTAG debug support for ARM

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser@cygnus.com>
To: Peter Reilley <micrio@mv.com>
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com <gdb@sources.redhat.com>; Jim MacGregor
<jamesm@macraigor.com>
Date: Friday, January 26, 2001 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: JTAG debug support for ARM

>Peter Reilley wrote:
>>
>> The site is a work in progress, not everything is there.
>> I perhaps should have waited before announcing it
>> publicly, but some people asked about it.   The
>> source is available.   Email me and I will send it
>> to you, but it is changing daily.   It will be on the
>> site.
>>

>Peter,
>
>I am not the Copyright holder.  It is the Free Software Foundation.
>They have "given" it to the world, but under the GPL, what means that
>legally it is "owned" by the FSF.
>
>As I said, they distribute it under a license and we are free to use and
>redistribute it under this license.  Violating this license in any of its
>clauses is as illegal as making illegal copies of a Microsoft product.
>
>As I was told, the first problem that befalls on someone who distributes
>GPL software and does not comply with the GPL terms is that this person or
>institution has the rights to redistributed it revoked for life (at the
>FSF discretion, of course).
>
>If you distribute the software by opto-magnetic means you have the option
>of making the source available by mail, charging a reasonable fee to cover
the
>media, processing and mailing.  But if you make it available for
downloading
>you *must* make the sources available from the same site and anyone must be
>able to reproduce the binary you are distributing.

I offer the source free for the asking by email.   When it is stable
it will be on the web site.  I think that you are being a little picky here.
The code is being actively worked on.   Perhaps my fault is in releasing
the binaries too soon.

>With regards to the DLL issue, the GPL makes clear exemption to the
Operating
>System and standard programing environment libraries that are distributed
>with an Operating System.  It allows for nothing that are distributed
>separately or under a fee.  As any Lawyer will explain to you, if it is not
>clear that you can do it, DON'T!

The libraries in question were derived from the DLL's available on
Windows.   The Windows work was done by Red Hat.   My work
was to do the same thing for Linux.

>I understand that you have helped set up this site and that you made it
>available with the best intentions in mind: helping people who wants to
>use this product (that I hear is quite nice) and the GNU tools.  This is
>very commendable but you must first convince the Copyright holder and get
>an exemption from them or comply with the existing terms.

I believe that we are in complience now.