remote.c's "async", "extended-async" back ends

I noticed that if we adopted the step over range command, I'd have to
add what I've done to remote_resume() to remote_async_resume().  This
is not a problem of course.

I seem to recall that the goal is to merge (or perhaps replace) the
async remote back ends with the sync versions.  What must be done in
order to move this forward?  As one of the remote.c maintainers, I'd
like to get rid of this largely duplicated code.

I recently objected to removing the sync event loop.  If this is the
holdup, I'm willing to spend some time to solve the problem we have
with stopping the target when the async event loop is active.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
RedBack Networks