Re: GDB's remote protocol: My proposed extention

> Stephen Smith wrote:
> >
> > When reading chapter 13 of the gdb manual, the rcmd can be taken to mean one
> > of two things:
> >
> > 1)  a command sent from the host machine to the target machine for the GDB server/stub to
> > execute
>
> This one.  All (well ok almost all) packets are GDB->target->GDB.
>
>         Andrew

Ok, I have been poking around in the GDB code like you suggested and here is my proposal for changes in the remote.c
file:

1)   Until this is working use an environment variable to turn on this feature * especially since I don't know how to do
it right - yet*

2)   Add a "qLibraries" general query.  This query would expect a response of the form "sharedLib1, address1;
sharedLib2, address2; sharedLib3, address3"

3)   For  each library/address pair in the return, call add_symbol_file_command() from symfile.c.
      Advantage is that this is a high level function and should be processor/coef/elf independent.

4)  Add a "qNewLibraries" general query which would return a `1` or a `0`.

What do you think?

BTW, I keep trying to get a copy of the GNU foundation copyright assignment document so that I can submit the patch when
I am done, haven't
heard a thing from them.  Any suggestions on that also?

sps