Re: "next" single-steps all the way

Eli,

The core of the problem is that GDB is not recognizing car7() as a
function (method).  Maybe it has been inlined?

So, for all practical purposes, this would be the same as if you use
"step" in a line like the following:

     for (i=0; i < NNNNNN; i++) ;

If NNNNNN is large, "step" will take a very, very long time :-(

To prevent this cases, we could add a new GDB setting: max_single_steps
that would cause a confirmation message to be asked to the user (after
printing where it is currently).

Anyway, your problem seem to be related to prologue-less functions.  The
in_prologue() test is not firing.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300