Re: stabs vs. dwarf-2 for C programs

>> In general, are there any advantages for using dwarf-2 over
>> stabs debugging symbols for C (not C++) programs?
>>
>> I did a quick test of rebuilding our system with dwarf-2 debug
>> symbols, and found that the image file grew from 35MB to 167MB
>> and link times nearly quadrupled, so dwarf-2 isn't looking so
>> good so far.  If I had to guess, it looks like duplicate debug
>> info (from headers, etc.) isn't being eliminated as is done
>> for stabs.

cgf> Daniel Berlin contributed some duplicate debug elimination code
cgf> to gcc for Dwarf-2.  It should be in the gcc 3.0 branch, if you
cgf> are adventurous.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Assuming that Dan's changes make that a non-issue, are there any other
reasons one might prefer dwarf-2 over stabs for C programs?

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
RedBack Networks