Re: GDB on SGI Irix 6.5

> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
> From: David B Anderson <davea@quasar.engr.sgi.com>
>
> >  - Should I make the change in tm-irix5.h, or should I leave it alone
> >    and create irix6x.h?  The issue here is that perhaps Irix 5 did
> >    work like tm-irix5.h says, and I won't want to break that.
>
> I suggest creating tm-irix6.h

Yes, that's what I tend to do as well, thanks for the feedback.

> >  - What should I do about the different ABIs?  At least 3 come to
> >    mind: O32, N32, and N64.  They have subtly different layouts of
> >    registers, so if I need to set things up for more than a single
> >    ABI, I'll need to know what's the current say-so about how this
> >    should be done (e.g., does gdbarch has some functionality for
> >    dynamically computing the registers array?).
>
> The register layouts for n32 and 64 are the same.
> Pointer and int are different sizes, but the registers
> themselves are the same and designated the same.
>
> The register set for o32 is different, and should be the same as for
> irix5.

Is it correct to say that, in general, n32 and 64 ABIs are
inappropriate for Irix 5?  In other words, does it make sense to
support n32 and 64 ABIs only for Irix 6.x?

> Recall that o32 uses the mdebug/third-eye format for debug info
> while n32/64 uses dwarf2 exlusively for debug info

Is it really dwarf2 or elf?  I don't have access to the SGI box where
I'm writing this, but I seem to remember that elf was used by GDB to
read the debug info.

> I am not much help in determining the 'right way to do things' for
> gdb, but if there is any way I can help with building or
> testing or anything on IRIX6.5, let me know.

Thanks, I will probably ask you to build the current CVS version with
the candidate patches, to make sure I didn't miss something.