Re: [RFC] Symbol table improvements

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Berlin <dan@cgsoftware.com> writes:
Daniel> Problems right now:

Daniel> Worst case is currently symbol not existing. We search *everything*.
Daniel> Search isn't particularly fast. It actually depends on where the
Daniel> symbol will be found.  We repeatedly search the same blocks.

Yes.  This is exacerbated by the expresion parser looking up
everything that might be a identifier as a global symbol.  I have
number of command scripts used for groveling data structures that
run much slower than they should because of this.

I toyed around a bit.  I got halfway through storying the block symbol
array in a tree (using libavl), but I never had time to follow through.
Perhaps if I understood what I was doing I'd be less intimidated by the
magnitude of the task.

Daniel> Current attempt:
[...]

Daniel> Thoughts, comments?

Sounds like a giant step in the right direction.

Daniel> I've got the global splay tree stuff done, and it's noticeably
Daniel> faster.  The only thing not done is the not searching of
Daniel> duplicate blocks.

Do you have a patch that I can test?  I'd like to toy with it with a
GDB that understands our crash dump format and our scripts that walk
task lists, message queues, etc.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin