Re: So what is wrong with v3 C++

Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> writes:

> Note, since we're at it, you might as well ask the Java people about
> outstanding issues. Fixing many of the C++ related ones will most
> probably help out Java as well, for those with an aversion to
> C++. (This scoping stuff seems to be endemic to both java and C++.)

Absolutely.

Almost all of the Java ABI used by GCJ is defined as a subset of
the C++ ABI.  The main exception is handling of "interface inheritance"
and "interface method calls".  A Java interface is basically a
C++ virtual abstract base class with no non-static fields, but it is
implemented in a way that doesn't need "virtual bases" or offset
adjustment.

For example fixing support for namespaces would be very helpful
for Java, as Java classes are organized into packages - which are
basically namespaces.
--
	--Per Bothner