Subject: Re: So what is wrong with v3 C++

In a message dated 6/30/2001 3:32:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Andrew Cagney
ac131313@cygnus.com> writes:

> What makes it especially urgent is that, for people working on the
> standard C++ library implementation, *every* type is in the `std'
> namespace.  So this problem will affect just about every object they
> ever want to print.  And of course, ordinary C++ code will use the
> standard library pretty frequently, too.

Yes, yes, yes!  I posted about this a while back, hoping to start just such
discussion, but of course I don't know anything about gdb internals.  I'm
new
to C++ and the STL. It was mind-boggling that The Experts encourage vectors
instead of C++ arrays, and standard lists instead of home-grown ones, yet if
I put my data into STL containers,  I can't actually look at it during
debugging without writing my own data-display wrappers for all my classes,
or
possibly learning the internals of libc++-v3.

And Jim Blandy wrote:

> But until someone fixes stabs, I think it's reasonable to tell C++
> users that GCC only provides sufficient information when using Dwarf 2.

As a C++ user, I would be thrilled to have *any* debug format that allowed
me
to display my own data.  None of the formats works now anyway, so if all I
had to do was change a makefile and upgrade my gdb, I'd be dancing on my
desk.  (That may be a good reason not to implement it.)

Jay Levitt