gdbserver vs. serial ports

I see that in remote-utils.c, we deliberately set VMIN and VTIME to 0 if we
open a serial port.  On an i386-linux (2.4) host, this has the effect of
making read() return 0 if no data is available.  We see the 0 and
immediately decide that it's an EOF, and close/reopen the serial port.

I don't have a lot of experience with serial programming.  Should we be
setting VMIN differently, or should we treat read() returning 0 differently?
It looks like ser-unix.c treats them read() returning 0 as a timeout and
sets VMIN appropriately before calling read().  Which raises the question -
does anyone know if gdbserver actually worked over serial ports? :)