Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: size limit for gdb* mailing list messages?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 11:24:20AM -0700, Kevin Buettner wrote:
>On Jul 23,  1:17pm, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> Given the recent spate of viruses showing up here, I'd like to limit the
>> sizes of messages to the gdb mailing lists.
>>
>> Any thoughts on limitations to the size of messages to the gdb mailing
>> lists?
>>
>> gcc has a 400K limit.  I think that is a little high for a non-patches
>> mailing list.
>>
>> How about 150K for gdb and 400K for gdb-patches and gdb-prs?
>
>I think 400k for gdb-patches is too low.
>
>Here are some other ideas on how to combat the problem:
>
>    1) Hold messages above a certain size for moderator approval.
>
>    2) Only allow large messages from mailing list subscribers.

I'm not soliciting ideas.  I get tons of those every time there is
an increase in spam or a flurry of email viruses.  I have scores
of interesting ideas for dealing with spam myself.  Most of it would
require tuit time that is not available.

I'm not going to be redesigning the sources.redhat.com mailing list
software.  Instead, I've asked for feedback for what we can do.  We can
limit mime types and message sizes.  AFAIK, that is the current limit on
what is possible with our ezmlm mailing list software.

cgf