Re: Are RCS ID's bad?

> I find the RCS keywords useful (except for $Log$) and would not
> recommend deleting them.

In the case of GDB, any useful information those RCS keywords carried
has long since been lost.  Remember the sources have been in and out of
random CVS repositories.

A far more reliable mechanism for tracking change is the ChangeLog.
However, if the below can be made to work ...

> For purposes of merges and diffs, keyword expansion can be suppressed
> by cvs when you do a checkout. See chapter 12 of the CVS manual for
> a discussion of this.

Would you know how -kk and -kb interact?  A number of files are created
with -kb.

> This eliminated the many problems I had when doing merges caused by
> the very thing you describe. However, it didn't eliminate the problems
> with the $Log$ expansion. Just don't use $Log$.

Thanks for the pointers.

	Andrew