Re: debugging a dynamically loaded library

On Aug 29,  4:44pm, Mike Krogh wrote:

> Can someone explain how to debug subroutines that are loaded via
> dlopen()/dlsym()?

Sure.  Read on...

> Specifically I'd like to compile and link dso.c
> into dso.so and then compile main.c and have it dynamically load
> dso.so.  Once that is done, I'd like to get gdb to stop in
> dso_init(int i) from ./dso.so.
>
> I'm compiling with the following:
>
> cc -g -c dso.c
> cc -shared -g -o dso.so dso.o
> cc -rdynamic -o main main.c -ldl

You'll have an easier time of it if you compile main.c with -g.

[...]

> int
> main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
>
>   void *handle;
>   void (*init)(int);
>   void (*incr)(int);
>   char *error;
>   int i;
>

>   if (!(handle = dlopen("./dso.so", RTLD_NOW|RTLD_GLOBAL))) {
>     fputs(dlerror(), stderr);
>     exit(1);
>   }
>
>   init = dlsym(handle, "dso_init");

Once you're running gdb, place a breakpoint on the above line.  The
point of doing this is that it's after the call to dlopen().  GDB
will automatically read dso.so's symbols after the dlopen() call and
then you'll be able to place breakpoints in your dynamically loaded
library.

Here's a test run using your example:

saguaro:dynlib$ /saguaro1/sourceware/bld-saguaro/gdb/gdb main
GNU gdb 2001-08-21-cvs (MI_OUT)
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) b main.c:23
Breakpoint 1 at 0x80487fc: file main.c, line 23.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/kev/ctests/dynlib/main

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffa2c) at main.c:23
23        init = dlsym(handle, "dso_init");
(gdb) b dso_init
Breakpoint 2 at 0x400188a2: file dso.c, line 10.
(gdb) b dso_increment
Breakpoint 3 at 0x400188ce: file dso.c, line 19.
(gdb) c
Continuing.
Do `add-symbol-file dso.so 0x4001889c`
Breakpoint 2, dso_init (i=5) at dso.c:10