Re: gdb remote debugging

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Joachim Geishauser wrote:

> Hi all ,
>
> as far as I know gdb can be used to debug code running on a i.e Coldfire
>
> on a external board.
> Is the code that does the communication between the code running on the
> external board and
> gdb running on the workstation open source?

Yes, there are few stubs in gdb-5.0/gdb directory, there is gdbstubs
project on sourceforge and there are stubs distributed as a part
of eCos and RTEMS. As far as I remember all of them are given to
the public domain or near public domain.

Most files in the gdb-5.0/stub directlory contain a short description
of the protocol.

I tried to make a formal description see my web site at
http://world.std.com/~qqi

>  Is there documentation of
> the API for the code
> running on the external board and the external board part of the gdb
> communication available?
> Any feedback is welcomed.

In my experience, however, tweaking is  required and it is important
to know what are you doing.

Also, you can invent your own protocol and and extend gdb, it is not a
hard thing to do.

> Regards
> Joachim

Thanks,