GDB's texi to html conversion; Was: [Jim Blandy <jimb@cygnus.com>] RFA: Don't pass -glossary flag to texi2html

[change mailing list, change subject line]

>> >From gdb/doc/Makefile.in:
>>
>> # Note that texinfo 4.0's makeinfo --html can only generate a
>> # single file, which would be too large, so continue to use
>> # texi2html. -sts 2000-03-28
>

> March 2000?  That's ages ago  [;-)]
>
> Anyway, there are versions of Texinfo on alpha.gnu.org which support
> split by node.  Also, I have a small program I wrote years ago which
> can split an HTML file produced by makeinfo by nodes (and rewrite all
> the xrefs, so they stay valid).
>
> texi2html has a problem that it doesn't support all the latest
> additions to Texinfo, so using it will put a drag on us when we will
> want to use those new features.  (Did someone see what do @ifnothtml
> and @ifnottex do in texi2html?)

On this, the texi to html converter and web page process does need an
update ....

The update is needed because I need to get a ``(C) FSF yada yada yada''
appended to the bottom of all the generated pages.  This is to bring
those pages into line with current FSF web page policy.  I also wouldn't
mind changing how/where the pages get installed but that is a separate
problem.

I do have reservations over using a non-released version of makeinfo.

enjoy,
Andrew