Re: gdb and dlopen

> Amusingly, there are something like eight million calls to
> ptid_get_pid.  I'll send along a trivial patch to shrink the worst
> offenders.  I understand the opacity that functions over macros is
> going for here, but a function that does 'return a.b;' and gets called
> eight MILLION times is a little bit absurd, don't you think?  Absurd
> enough that it shows up as the second highest item on the profile.

To speak vague fussy and hypothetical.  This will go away.

GDB has long had ``struct thread_info'' as a thread object.  The
underlying problem is that nothing makes use of this.  Since a thread
object could hold thread specific register and memory caches the minor
overhead of a few functions would greatly outweigh the benefits of not
going anywhere near ptrace when the user switches or manipulates threads.

Andrew