Re: gdb.ini vs. .gdbinit on Cygwin

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > is there still a reason why the .gdbinit file is called gdb.ini
> > on Cygwin?
>
> You might consider the fact that the Windows Explorer still disallows
> creation of files with a leading dot.
>
> I don't know if this is important for Cygwin users, though.
>
> Also, if you remove gdb.ini, I'd suggest to have a transitional period
> where gdb.ini is still supported.  Otherwise, users might get mad at
> you for breaking their setup.
>
> In any case, please change the docs accordingly (type "i gdb.ini RET"
> in an Info reader, to find where it is mentioned).

I agree with Eli.

My first thought was: look for ".gdbinit", if not found
look for "gdb.ini" after issuing a warning that "gdb.ini" should be
renamed to ".gdbinit" and that "gdb.ini" will not be supported in future
versions.

But then I remembered that we may have native Windows GDB (i.e., not
Cygwin,
but Win32 GDB programs).  Can those also look for ".gdbinit"?

And the Windows Explorer issue, has it gone on the XP version?

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300