large line number debugging support

Hi.
I just added support to output stab information in the mono JIT
compiler: this debugging info is used to debug code generation problems
and as such the lines in the source code it references are from an
assembly dump of the CLR programs. For large libraries the assembly
files can be longer than 2^16 lines and the binary stabs format seems to use
16 bits unsigned integers to store line info.
Is there some kind of know workaround for this problem?
Splitting the assembly dump would be extremely ugly.

A somewhat related problem is symbol file info removal: it's possible to
add a symbol file at runtime inside gdb, but I haven't found a way to
unload it once I need to restart the program (and I need to restart gdb
as well).

I'm not on the list, so please, Cc me on any replies.
Thanks.

lupus

lupus@debian.org                                     debian/rules
lupus@ximian.com                             Monkeys do it better