mmap on Linux broken???

I tried to use the -mapped option of gdb to dump the symbol table into a
memory mapped file, but gdb compains that mmap() is not available on my
system---either missig or broken?  I am using Mandrake 8.1 which has the
2.4.8 kernel.   I thought memory mapped files was available on Linux---am I
wrong?

>Why do you think that? I've been of the impression that you can't take
>even part of the code. I don't even know if you can call binutils without
>the code having to be copyleft. I recall hearing of other programs having
>to remove calls to GNU libraries just to stay out of the copyleft
>restristions.

Hmm... this means that you can't create a proprietory GUI for gdb...right?
Anyone heard of such a thing?  Sorry this is getting off topic into
licensing issues.

So this means that if you use in your proprietory software a call to
CreateProcess() or exec() to launch binutils (objdump) it would be illegal?
Also what if you use objdump standalone and create a dump file.  Then you
parse the dump file using your own code?

Salman