Re: How does one cross-compile gdbserver?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 09:27:40PM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 05:28:05PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> >
> >>I'm going crazy trying to build gdb 5.1.1's gdbserver
> >>in a cross-development environment.
> >>
> >>Has anyone here build one recently?
> >>If so, can you please post your recipe?
> >

> >(Just the day for this answer...)
> >
> >Same way as anything else!  You need to have a compiler capable of
> >building target userland binaries, and a development environment set up
> >for same.  You may need to run configure in the gdbserver directory
> >manually, with CC set appropriately.  Note that you want a gdb
> >configured --host=<your target>, not --target=<>!
> >
> >I don't give it good odds of compiling.  I've tried several times to
> >clean that up and gotten stymied in various people's objections to my
> >methods (sorry Andrew).  I'll be taking another stab at it this week I
> >think.
>

> :-)
>
> I've been thinking about making it obsolete.  Not that I want to lose
> it.  Rather that it clears the slate and removes any obligation to keep
> other targets working.
>
> The other is to just declare it really broken.

Do you want me to count the number of messages last summer where I
wanted to do either of those? :)

Seriously - my opinion is that it is totally broken at the present
time, that I can fix it for one platform at a time, and that it would
be cleaner if I first declared it broken for all targets.  If you're
more open to this idea now, I'll kick into high gear on it.  I can
probably get all the Linux and most of the *BSD targets fixed; all
current-ish Solaris systems aren't even supported because gdbserver
never grokked /proc, and the other supported systems are mostly
obsolete or last tested on obsolete versions.