GDB scope does not work quite right for Pascal

At 14:44 12/10/01 , vous avez écrit:

> >Number:         222
> >Category:       gdb
> >Synopsis:       GDB scope does not work quite right for Pascal
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       non-critical
> >Responsible:    unassigned
> >State:          open
> >Class:          sw-bug
> >Submitter-Id:   net
> >Arrival-Date:   Fri Oct 12 05:48:01 PDT 2001
> >Closed-Date:
> >Last-Modified:
> >Originator:     Adam Oldham
> >Release:        gdb 20010813
>Source is compiled with FPC (Free Pascal Compiler).  This can happen with
>any source of pascal.  When you declare nested functions, gdb's scope does
>not allow the viewing of the variables that are from the parent function
>that should be within the scope.
> >How-To-Repeat:
>The simple program attached will produce the problem.  When compiled and
>run, the correct output is displayed, but if you run GDB on it, and break
>on function test2 and print out int1 which is a global variable for the
>function test1, you receive:
>"No symbol "INT1" in current context."

   There are several remarks to that bug report:
   1) I don't know at all how nested functions work in C
Are they allowed? Do they also use a paremt fram pushing method ?
If yes, can locals from the calling function be found in C?
Maybe someone from the gdb mailing list can answer that question.
If this is already implemented for C its probably easier to just take
the same method.

   2) There is a solution, I implemented it in the IDE for Free Pascal
but it is rather complicated.
   Let me try to explain this solution to everyone.
   Nested functions in pascal get a hidden parameter that contains the
frame pointer (ebp value for i386 cpu) of the calling function. This allows the
program to access correctly local variable of the function that called the
nested
function. This value is searched in the backtrace at the location where
the frame pointer are usually saved ( i.e. at offset 0 of the local ebp
value for i386)
If we find the corresponding frame (which is not always the first frame
above the current one)
then we can try if we find the unfound local symbol in that frame).

    To ease this search, I inserted a pseudo-parameter to the function called
parent_ebp (in lower case, while normal Free Pascal symbols are uppercased)
that indicate the location of this parnt frame pointer.

3)  As maintainer of the pascal language specific part of GDB,
I am of course willing to introduce this into the gdb sources, but I would
really like to get first some feedback from the gpc list.
    Does gpc do anything about this calling frame hidden parameter ?
Could we agree to use the same method for both compiler
in order to get better support for Pascal ?

Pierre Muller
Institut Charles Sadron
6,rue Boussingault
F 67083 STRASBOURG CEDEX (France)
mailto:muller@ics.u-strasbg.fr
Phone : (33)-3-88-41-40-07  Fax : (33)-3-88-41-40-99