Re: Patch for arm-linux gdbserver

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:33:50PM -0500, Peter Barada wrote:

> >Simply configure with --host=powerpc-linux.  Then run configure
> >separately in the gdbserver directory if it did not get done, and make.
> >
> >Note that to do that first step $CC must be a cross compiler.
> >
> >Also note that PPC support for gdbserver is not currently available,
> >and may go in in a few days depending on some other factors.
>
> Ok, I built a m68k-linux compiler, and attempted:
>
> CC=m68k-linux-gcc AR=m68k-linux-ar RANLIB=m68k-linux-ranlib LD=m68k-linux-ld /home/pbarada/work/cvs-wavemark/cross-linux-tools/gdb-5.0.93/configure --host=m68k-linux
>
> To configure a m68k-linux version of gdbserver to be built on my x86
> box.  Unfortunately configure fails.  From gleaning over the output, I
> see two things, the first I'm not sure about and the second is a problem:
>
> Created "Makefile" in /home/pbarada/work/cvs-wavemark/cross-linux-tools/obj-crap-linux/m68k-linux/build-gdb using "mt-frag"
> /home/pbarada/work/cvs-wavemark/cross-linux-tools/gdb-5.0.93/configure: ./if1747: cannot execute binary file
> Configuring intl...
> creating cache ../config.cache
>
> I don't think configure should try to run a cross-compiled
> executable...

That's normal.  I think more recent autoconf suppresses the message,
but I'm not sure.

> checking compiler warning flags...  -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wtrigraphs -Wformat -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wuninitialized
> checking for cygwin... no
> checking for tgetent in -lncurses... (cached) no
> checking for tgetent in -lHcurses... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... (cached) no
> checking for tgetent in -lcurses... (cached) no
> checking for tgetent in -lterminfo... no
> configure: error: Could not find a term library
> Configure in /home/pbarada/work/cvs-wavemark/cross-linux-tools/obj-crap-linux/m68k-linux/build-gdb/gdb failed, exiting.
>
> Since I'm not trying to run *gdb* on the target, but just *gdbserver*,
> how can I get configure to ignore the missing term library and produce
> a proper configuration?  This is the problem I had the last time I did
> this, and ended up resorting to configureing it by *hand*.

Basically, this is because we abuse gdb's configure quite badly.  I
recommend that you build a small curses library or grab one from an
m68k disribution or what-have-you, and ignore the problem for now.
I'll see about fixing this a little down the road.