GDB messes up fonts on Qt apps that are linked with libpthread

Hello everyone,

Any Qt app I build on my system runs ok (both within gdb and standalone)
UNLESS I have linked "libpthread" into the application.

If the linking has -lpthread, then running the application from within gdb
results in the appplication window's fonts being garbled and unreadable.

The application need not make any calls to "pthread" functions for this to
occur.  Just linking in pthread is enough for the problem to appear.

Has anyone seen this before?

Alexandros