Re: Debugging threaded console-based program

On Feb 8, 12:09pm, Bill Bland wrote:

> 	I'm trying to use gdb to find out more about a program whose
> source I don't have (and I have no way of getting).  The program is
> multi-threaded which causes problems for me if I run it in one terminal
> and use gdb in another terminal to attach to it.  This means that I want
> to start the program from inside gdb.
> Unfortunately since the program is console-based it is very difficult to
> see what's going on with the program's and gdb's output going to the same
> terminal.  Could anyone suggest a way around this?

You didn't say which platform you're trying it on.  If it's GNU/Linux,
there have been a number of recent fixes in the development sources
with regard to being able to attach to a multi-threaded program.  If
you haven't done so already, you might want to fetch and build a copy
of the developement sources.  Otherwise, you should provide us with more
information so that we can try to fix the problem in GDB.

See http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/ .

Kevin