Re: gdb support for Atmel AVR

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:

:)TARGET_ADDR_BIT is the number of significant bits in a CORE_ADDR.  For
:)your target that is 32.  The remote protocol will use those 32 bits when
:)  requesting raw memory.
:)
:)Separatly, you've got 16 bit pointers you need TARGET_PTR_BIT=16.  GDB
:)uses the functions pointer_to_address() and address_to_pointer() when
:)converting a C code/data pointer to/from a CORE_ADDR.

<snip>

:)I'd try the above.

I set TARGET_ADDR_BIT to 32 and TARGET_PTR_BIT to 16 and initial testing
looks like it works. I think had the two swapped when I was playing with
this months ago.

Now I have avr support with only the following modifications to gdb from
cvs:
	modify: configure.tgt
	add:    avr-tdep.c
	add:    config/avr/avr.mt
	add:    config/avr/tm-avr.h

This makes me much happier than my previous patch with all the other files
it touched.

I'll continue testing and make up a new patch to send out to the avr
community for testing while I wait for copyright assignment papers to show
up.

Thanks for the help.

Ted Roth