Re: Multi-arch only GDB 6.0 ....

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 08:08:45PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> So,
>
> The GDB 5.0 version bump came about mainly because:
>
> 	o	5.0 requires an ISO C compiler
>
> If someone wants to build GDB using a K&R compiler, they could use the
> older 4.x series or a ISO->K&R converter.  (It also was part of moving
> GDB to a public repository but that is secondary).
>
> I think it is time to think about a GDB version bump.  This time the
> reason being (credit to Martin Hunt):
>
> 	o	6.0 only supports multi-arch targets
>
> If someone wants to use GDB on an older more obscure target then they
> can grab an old 5.x release.
>
> A tentative schedule (based on this 4 month release cycle) would be:
>
> 	jul-aug: 5.3 mark all as obsolete
> 	nov-dec: 6.0 have removed them (YA!)
>
> Anyway, I'm going to mention all these going to be obsoleted targets in
> 5.2's NEWS file.
>
> Thoughts?

It's a nice idea, but can we really ditch all the non-multi-arch targets?
I think you filed bugs about them all at one point; could you give an
exact list of the targets that would be going?

I'm stuck maintaining GDB for Debian right now.  In our current
release, that's 11 architectures.  I think that at the least Sparc,
Alpha, and m68k are non-multi-arch (and HPPA is non-contributed, but
there's nothing I can do about that...).  We may be able to talk David
into cleaning up Sparc, but at the other two are also still in active
use.  I think that we need to allow more time in order to get as many
targets as possible converted over - I'll do the two I mentioned myself
if no one else has time, but it'll take a while.