Re: RFC: Two small remote protocol extensions

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 11:38:02AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >In making remote thread debugging work on GNU/Linux, I needed two additions
> >to the remote protocol.  Neither is strictly necessary, but both are
> >useful,
> >IMHO.
> >
> >They are:
> >
> >  - two new replies to the continue/step packets, 'n' and 'x'.  They
> >indicate thread creation and death respectively, and are asynchronous;
> >the target is not stopped when they are sent.
>
> No.
>
> Telling GDB of thread create/delete events is a good idea, but please,
> do it synchronously (we've already got the ``O'' packet and that is bad
> enough).
>
> Have you tried:
> 	T00Thread....?
> for the create event.  (signal 0 is loosely defined as a non-event).

That defeats the point of a fast thread debugging package.  I do not
want to stop threads at creation/death events; I put in quite a lot of
work to avoid it.  That scales very badly.  The alternative was to just
report all thread events at the next stop, but it is much more
user-intuitive to do it immediately.

Could you please explain why you are opposed to asynchronous
notification?  The 'O' packet doesn't seem to be "bad enough";
doing output notification synchronously just seems silly.

(Note that they're still ack'd, like standard remote packets.  It's
just that the target isn't stopped.)

> >  - A new 'Hs' packet, paralleling Hc and Hg.  This sets the "step" thread.
>
> I don't know.
>
> What is the difference between Hc and Hs?  BTW, Hg is orthogonal to the
> step/continue problem.  Anyway, I suspect Michael knows more than most
> on this front and this needs very careful consideration.

When you step without scheduler locking, the normal GDB behavior is to
step one thread and continue (then stop) all the others.  Hc0 is sent
beforehand to indicate that all threads should be continued.  Which
thread should be stepped?

We can indicate this via Hg, since it has no meaning at that point; or
we can indicate it via a new Hs.  I don't care ;)