GDB 5.2 undefined instruction problem on arm9

Hi,

I'm trying to cross-compile gdb 5.2 (released version, not CVS) for arm.

Compilation succeeds and gdb works on the arm (it runs and can display
it's help, load program etc), but when I try to debug programs with it,
the debugged program will stop between '_start' and 'main' with SIGILL
and gdb says "undefined instruction".  When I run the program
_without_ gdb, the program works OK.

This is my first try at trying to compile gdb myself, so I'm wondering
whether the problem is in how I've configured gdb, my cross-compilation
environment, gdb arm support, kernel debugging (ptrace?) support
or what.

Arm version is arm9, I'm configuring gdb with '--target=arm
--host=arm" and I'm using a cross-compiled glibc with which I link
gdb statically (using the -static linker flag).  Cross-compiler is
gcc 2.95.3.

I've also tried making a glibc/x86 host version of gdb and arm uClibc-0.9.11
gdbserver.  I can connect to the remote gdbserver running on the arm
target with the x86-gdb and x86-gdb recognizes the (statically compiled)
arm-binaries, but when I try to run then through the gdb/gdbserver
combination, I get again SIGILL & "undefined instruction".

Any clues on what might wrong will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

	- Eero