new build scheme naming

This message refers to
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-02/msg01816.html
and it may also be useful to look at
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-02/msg01842.html

I'd like to start working on the transition sometime soon, but I want to
settle a couple of naming issues first.

* Name for the directory.  'build' is a terrible name (confusion with
the 'build machine') and 'install' isn't much better.  I would promote a
name with the host encoded into it for clear separation of tools which
run on the host from those which run on the target.  How about
${host_alias}/recently_built
${host_alias}-recently_built
${host_alias}/built
${host_alias}-built
${host_alias}/tools
${host_alias}-tools
${host_alias}/preinstall
${host_alias}-preinstall

(and similarly, ${target_alias}/* for target libraries)

Any preferences?  Any better ideas?...

* Variable to use for this directory in 'configure' files and Makefiles;
again, $build_prefix is a very bad choice.
$host_recently_built
$host_built
$host_tools
$host_preinstall_dir

(and similarly $target_* for target libraries)

Any preferences?  Any better ideas?...

--Nathanael